The Brisbane Orchid Society is based at Mount Gravatt, in Brisbane.
The floral emblem of the Society is Phaius bernaysii an Australian native orchid found in swampy areas of Queensland and New South Wales.
Founded in 1963 the Brisbane Orchid Society Inc. is the oldest society in Brisbane, and it’s aims are;
- To promote the knowledge and advancement of all that pertains to orchids, particularly their natural history, cultivation and hybridisation.
- To disseminate such knowledge to members and any other interested person
- To assist as far as possible, in preventing vandalism or the destruction of native orchids in their natural habitat.
- To promote good fellowship and mutual understanding among those interested in the cultivation of orchids.
We do this through;
- Catering for the needs of both the beginner and advanced grower. Beginners are especially mentored assisted and encouraged.
- At monthly meetings, the more experienced growers are only too happy to answer questions for less experienced growers.
- Featured items and guest speakers of significant value to all members are organised for monthly meetings.
- In plant competitions, beginners compete with others of a similar standard as themselves.
- Visits to various orchid collections are held at frequent intervals. These are excellent opportunities for beginners to see in practice the fundamentals of good orchid culture.
- Every member also receives a monthly newsletter containing orchid cultural information, the latest news from the Society including monthly benching results, and articles and guides to help growers achieve the best from their collections.
- Holding monthly general meetings, where members bench flowering orchids in a judged competition environment, the general public and new members are always welcome.
FOURTH (4th) MONDAY OF EACH MONTH except December
|Where||Upper Mt Gravatt Progress Hall,
1873 Logan Rd,
Upper Mt Gravatt, Brisbane.
Download a membership application here!
The current BOS Committee members are;
President- Ken Haase
Vice President- Phil McCallum
Secretary- Regina Chandler
Treasurer- Alan Howes
Editor & WebMaster- Pete Barton
Members- Sante DiPasquale,
Marj Appleyard, Mark Halliday
Raffles- Helen Wong
The Patron of our society and Grand Champion of Show sponsor is Member for Mansfield Corrine McMillan MP.
Ms McMillan is an avid green thumb and an orchid grower, and will be attending the BOS Annual Show.