The Brisbane Orchid Society Inc. was founded in 1963, and is the oldest orchid society in Brisbane.
Based at Mount Gravatt, the Society is affiliated with, and governed by the judging and scoring rules of the Queensland Orchid Society, and The Australian Orchid Council.
The Society’s aims are
- To promote the knowledge and advancement of all that pertains to orchids, particularly their natural history, cultivation and hybridisation.
- To disseminate such knowledge to members and any other interested person
- To assist as far as possible, in preventing vandalism or the destruction of native orchids in their natural habitat.
- To promote good fellowship and mutual understanding among those interested in the cultivation of orchids.
We do this through
- Catering for the needs of both the beginner and advanced grower. Beginners are especially mentored assisted and encouraged.
- At monthly meetings, the more experienced growers are only too happy to answer questions for less experienced growers.
- Featured items and guest speakers of significant value to all members are organised for monthly meetings.
- In plant competitions, beginners compete with others of a similar standard as themselves.
- Visits to various orchid collections are held at frequent intervals. These are excellent opportunities for beginners to see in practice the fundamentals of good orchid culture.
- Every member also receives a monthly newsletter containing orchid cultural information, the latest news from the Society including monthly benching results, and articles and guides to help growers achieve the best from their collections.
- Holding monthly general meetings, where members bench flowering orchids in a judged competition environment, the general public and new members are always welcome.
The Society’s floral emblem is Phaius bernaysii, an Australian native orchid found in the swampy areas of Queensland and New South Wales.
We meet on the fourth Monday night of each month except December, at the Upper Mount Gravatt Progress Hall, 1873 Logan Road, Upper Mount Gravatt, at 7.45 pm.
You can download a BOS Membership Form HERE!
The current BOS Committee members are;
President- Ken Haase
Vice President- Phil McCallum
Secretary- Regina Chandler
Treasurer- Alan Howes
Members- Sante DiPasquale,
Marj Appleyard, Mark Halliday
Raffles- Helen Wong
The Patron of our society and Grand Champion of Show sponsor is Member for Mansfield Corrine McMillan MP.
Ms McMillan is an avid green thumb and an orchid grower, and will be attending the BOS Annual Show.
You can find her on Facebook HERE!